Martina Feichter studied biology in Innsbruck with an optional subject in pharmacy and also immersed herself in the world of medicinal plants. From there it was not far to other medical topics that still captivate her today. She trained as a journalist at the Axel Springer Academy in Hamburg and has been working for lifelikeinc.com since 2007 - first as an editor and since 2012 as a freelance author.More about the lifelikeinc.com expertsvaginal yeast infection (Vaginal mycosis, sokololpitis) is a common fungal infection in women. It is usually caused by yeasts. Typical symptoms include itching and burning of the vagina, as well as a crumbly discharge. The vaginal fungal infection is treated with drugs that are especially effective against fungi (antimycotics). Read here everything important about causes and symptoms of vaginal thrush, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis!
ICD codes for this disease: ICD codes are internationally valid medical diagnosis codes. They are found e.g. in medical reports or on incapacity certificates. B37ArtikelübersichtScheidenpilz
- penis mushroom
- Causes and risk factors
- Examinations and diagnosis
- Course and prognosis
- What is vaginal fungus? Infection of the vagina with fungi, usually with yeasts (especially Candida albicans). An estimated three out of four women get a vaginal thrush at least once in their lives. The infection can occur at any age.
- Common symptoms: Itching and a burning sensation in the vagina and usually in the pubic area, increased, whitish-crumbly discharge (reminiscent of curdled milk), possibly pain during sexual intercourse; with additional involvement of the urethra also painful urination.
- Treatment: Antifungal agent (antifungals), usually applied externally (cream, vaginal suppositories etc.), only in severe cases also internally (tablets). Possibly antiseptics (generally act against pathogens).
- Forecast: Sheath fungus is usually harmless, but very unpleasant and sometimes persistent. In case of a severely weakened immune system, the fungus may spread in the body and infect internal organs.
Vaginal fungus: symptoms
The most important vaginal yeast symptoms are one strong itching and a burning feeling in the vagina (vagina). Most of the complaints also show in the pubic area (vulva). You can strengthen yourself before menstruation. Incidentally, itching is the first indication of vaginal yeast. It often occurs long before further symptoms.
A characteristic change in vaginal discharge is another sign of vaginal thrush: women always have some discharge. This is often so small that it is hardly noticed. Its amount changes over the course of the menstrual cycle. It is usually transparent to milky and odorless. One intensified, crumbly-whitish discharge is one of the characteristic symptoms of vaginal thrush. He is - like the healthy discharge - odorless.
If the discharge from the vagina smells bad (fishy smell), infected with bacteria and not with mushrooms behind it. Such a bacterial vaginosis must necessarily be treated by a doctor!
Possible vaginal yeast symptoms are too Pain during intercourse (Dyspareunia). If the vaginal mycosis has spread to the urethra, they often come Pain when urinating (Dysuria).
What does vaginal fungus look like?
Vagina and pubic can be swollen in vaginal fungus. Often (but not always) there are grayish-white deposits on the mucous membrane at the entrance to the vagina and in the vagina. These pads can be wiped off. Below it shows an inflammatory reddened mucous membrane.
The genital fungal infection of the woman can also lead to small nodules on the skin surface in the genital area.This happens in vaginal fungusIf the vaginal flora out of balance, fungi can spread in the vagina.